Why accommodation providers love it when you book direct.
When the tourism industry was struggling back to its feet last year there was a discussion in the media about the benefits of booking direct. Our latest Covid-19 Lockdown has, once again, brought with it cancelled and changed bookings across the accommodation industry. Here at Martinborough TOP 10 those bookings arrive from a variety of sources, including Online Travel Agents such as Booking.com and Expedia.
Like a lot of accommodation businesses we encourage our guests to book direct (or through the TOP 10 website). We believe that direct bookings are good for us and they’re good for you, here are some reasons why:
- Online Travel Agents charge commission and in many cases that money leaves New Zealand. As part of our commitment to sustainability we buy local wherever possible, so a high percentage of any money spent with us finds its way directly back into our local community and national economy.
- In the instance that you need to change or cancel a booking it is much easier for us to help you if you’ve booked direct or via the TOP 10 website, we have direct control over those bookings and can process changes quickly and simply. To change another booking you need to contact the agent you booked with, we cannot change or cancel third party bookings ourselves.
- The TOP 10 group have a Covid-19 guarantee. Our Book with Confidence Guarantee is applicable if you are no longer able to travel due to COVID-19 related developments and you booked directly with Martinborough TOP 10 Holiday Park or through the TOP 10 website. This guarantee doesn’t extend to other agents or websites as we do not have control over those bookings.
- You get better terms and conditions when you book direct because it is so much easier (and costs less) for us to handle direct bookings.
- Given the extra cost and complexity involved in dealing with third party bookings we don’t always list every room that we have for sale with online travel agents – our own website always has all of our available rooms and sites listed, particularly for large event or public holiday weekends.
Having said all of that, the technology capabilities of global online travel agents deliver a very convenient way for guests to book and we will continue to give you that option, we just ask that you read the room descriptions and check the booking terms and conditions when you do.